Appendicitis occurs if the appendix (a small, thin pouch connected to the large intestine) becomes inflamed. This is caused, for example, by a blockage of the opening inside the appendix or by bacteria. Pain that starts in the middle of the stomach and then moves to the lower right abdomen is typical. The appendix is often surgically removed.
- Starts with pain near the belly button
- After a few hours the pain moves to the lower right abdomen
Causes and treatment
- Blockage of appendix (remains of food/stools)
- Kink in the appendix
- Bacterial infection
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Blood test (inflammatory markers)
- Observation of mild cases, and antibiotics
When to see a doctor?
- Pain in the middle of the stomach that moves to the lower right abdomen