A sinus infection (sinusitis) is mostly caused by viruses or bacteria. It causes severe pain, in particular in the areas around the forehead and upper jaw. This is accompanied by mucus or purulent nasal a discharge of green or yellow mucus from the nose. Nasal irrigation with salt water can bring relief.
- Dull pain (forehead, upper jaw, teeth, between or behind the eyes)
- Pain worsens when head is bent forward
- Green or yellow mucus from the nose
- Blocked nose
If symptoms persist for more than three months, we speak of chronic sinusitis.
Causes and treatment
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
- Blood test (inflammatory markers)
- Examination of nasal cavity (rhinoscopy)
- CT scan (computed tomography)
- Mucus-loosening medication (mucolytics)
- Anti-swelling nasal sprays
- Antibiotics (for bacteria)
- Surgery (very rarely)
What can I do myself?
- Install humidifiers
- Steam inhalations (e.g. with chamomile, sage, essential oils)
- Nasal irrigation with salt water, or alternatively, salt water nasal spray
- Nasal ointments
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Stop smoking
When to see a doctor?
- Pain when pressing on the facial bones (in particular forehead, under the eyes)
- Swollen cheeks and severe facial pain
- Unusual swelling of an eyelid (the infection may have spread)
sinus infection, sinusitis, frontal sinusitis